Yarm School which is the home of the Princess Alexandra Auditorium is a co-educational school with 1200 students. The formation of the school can be traced back to 1590 when it occupied the grounds of Yarm Parish Church. It remained on this site until 1884 when a school was erected on land on the Spital Road. Incidentally The Spital is named because a hospital was originally on this road. This building is still in use today as the Preparatory School.
In 1980 the main school moved to its present site at the Friarage. The Friarage is a large Georgian manor house which was built after the Dominican Friary was demolished in the 16th century. Some parts of this still survive and in fact the oldest building in Yarm, the Dovecote, is in the school grounds. It is reputed that there is a haunted cellar with a tunnel which enabled the monks to get down to the River Tees.
The school was expanded in the 1990’s and again in 2009 with the building of multi use sports facilities and notably the Princess Alexandra Auditorium. The school has received national acclaim from the Royal Institute of British Archtects.